Sorry that i havent replied to most of you people, but i already got the software installation problem fixed over 4 weeks ago. I totally forgot about all you guys out there, but no fear, i got the solution. It is caused since its looking for the groups USERS and INTERACTIVE. And guess what? On a foreign XP instalment those groups aren’t there! I don’t understand why they didn’t use group id’s instead of locating the groups on name.
I hacked up a small script that creates the groups USERS and INTERACTIVE and adds your XP username to the groups accordingly.
Download the script here: download (right click and save)
If the script doesn’t work for you, you can also try:
1. right click on my computer -> manage.
2. then click on local users and groups and click on groups.
3. right click at groups and choose “New group…”
4. type in USERS as group name.
5. in the members field, click on the “Add…” button.
6. enter you username and click on “Check Names”
7. click OK to add that user
8. click create when you are done with adding users
Repeat the same steps for creating the INTERACTIVE user group.
This method only works for XP Pro, Home Users need to use NETUSER, more info on use here
I also heard it worked for some people if the installed this package: WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-usa.exe
It has been reported that in some cases (not all) it creates those groups.
TrackBack URL for this entry: